Thursday, May 31, 2012

What have I gotten myself into?

In less than 2 hours, our Pulitzer challenge will officially begin. What started as an enthusiastic (and perhaps poorly thought out) reply to Maria's Facebook status has turned into a 12 month long commitment.  How do I get myself into these things??? Who knows. But a more productive question would be, what do I plan to get out of this thing?

I think I will come out of this one a much better person with a well rounded understanding of the progression of 20th century literature. What was considered ground breaking in 1918? 1919? How did tastes and standards shift as wars and technology changed the face of our world's nations? Are any plot lines considered timeless? Will I be able to pick up on jokes that would have been considered obvious at the time they were written? Will all of these books be horrifically boring and dated as a result of not having proven themselves classics for more than one flash in the pan moment the year they were published? (I really hope not...)

So many questions! And lucky for me, I have a whole year to figure them out. And so it begins!

No comments: